As a company you’ve had a proper dust and fume extraction system installed, so that’s the end of your responsibility isn’t it?
Well no – your responsibility does not end once you have installed a system. Servicing is not only deemed as a legal requirement under COSHH regulation 9, but it will also increase the likelihood that your LEV system will continue to protect your employees and pass its annual Thorough Examination and Test.
Look after your systems so that they can continue to look after your employees
Most people are aware that if you want your car to continue to keep running properly then it needs to be serviced regularly.
The same principle applies to LEV systems. Constant use without regular maintenance can, as with a car, lead to a LEV system failing to work as effectively as it might.
Failure to maintain a system properly can lead to:
- Employees being exposed because they have the impression that the system is effective at clearing the air when it is not.
- Leakage of hazardous substances in the workplace, causing concentrated local exposure to the employee(s) rather than preventing it.
- A breach of regulation 9 of the COSHH regulations which ‘requires that any measures taken to provide effective control through the use of Local Exhaust Ventilation (dust or fume extraction equipment) must be maintained in effective working order and also in good repair’.
- The warranty on your installation being invalidated
- Loss of company revenue driven by enforced downtime if the system fails and has to be fixed urgently.
Therefore as an employer if you do not get your system serviced regularly you are in breach of the law and at risk of receiving a substantial fine – as well as potentially losing valuable production time in the case of a breakdown.
Peace of mind that your LEV system is in good working order
The simplest way to ensure that your extraction system continues to operate as it should is to take out a service contract with Vent-Tech. Not only will you save money versus having your LEV system serviced on a one-off basis, we will also then take on the responsibility to call you to arrange a time for the service each year so ensuring that it is done in a timely manner.
Our quarterly inspection and service visits mean that we are likely to pick up on issues early on when the fix is often simple – rather than when after the extraction equipment has broken down.
We also offer contracts to include COSHH testing, so that not only can you be sure that your system is being maintained properly, but also that the COSHH testing schedule required by the HSE is being adhered to. And in the unlikely event that something does go wrong, our contracted customers are also guaranteed to get a response from our dedicated in-house engineers within 24 hours including a plan for remedial action which will be completed as a matter of urgency. We can even hold replacement items for your system so reducing any downtime still further.
So I guess there is just one question left…
Can you afford not to take out a service contract?
For more details of our servicing options and to get a Free Quote based on your installed systems please give us a call, or drop us a note on the form on the right selecting ‘Servicing’ as your service of interest.