The P601 is a four-day course and is one of four modules designed to make you proficient in working with LEV systems. It will provide the methodology, theoretical knowledge and practical skills to enable you to undertake thorough examinations and tests of (LEV) systems (TExTs).
There is an element of maths calculations included within the P601 course; we therefore run an additional optional ½ day maths course (priced at £250 + VAT) which runs the afternoon before (on the same day as the P600). This was introduced as the BOHS have seen an increase in candidates who have failed the P601 because they were unable to complete the maths.
The P600 is a half day course designed to give you a foundation level of insight into LEV systems. It is recommended that delegates have completed the P600 before they attend the P601, so many choose to attend both at the same time.
Upon completion of the course, our team of expert engineers will be there to help you with any questions. We also provide an invaluable mentoring service to complement this formal training.
Gain knowledge and understanding of:
1. The control practice for hazardous substances and the role of local exhaust ventilation (LEV).
2. How to test previously appraised LEV systems used to monitor exposure to substances that pose a health risk.
3. Ways to create appropriate records of the results of examination and testing – as required by regulation and codes of practice.
4. The principles and the primary elements of an LEV system and how to explain them.
5. How to assess and determine if an LEV system is capable of adequate control of the acknowledged dangers.
6. How to conduct the required measurements safely to determine if an LEV system is functioning effectively and working in the way it was designed to.
7. How to determine if, when a system has not been sufficiently commissioned, it is working properly. This includes whether it controls exposure and working out the operating criteria for continued performance.
8. How to advise appropriate solutions to faults that are discovered.
- You must have a basic knowledge of the components of ventilation systems and what they do. Completing the P600 course can help you with this.
- You need to have a working knowledge of HSG258 Controlling airborne contaminants at work: A guide to local exhaust ventilation.
- You must be able to carry out general mathematical calculations.
We offer a half day mathematics course a day prior to the P601 course costing £250. You can use this to improve your general mathematical skills before attending the P601 course if you think it may be required.
Who should attend
You should consider this course if you are any of the following:
- An engineer
- A manager
- A supervisor
- A member of technical sales staff
- An LEV technician
Formative practical assessment, written theory exam and written practical exam on the day, and the submission of two LEV testing reports within 12 months of passing the exams.
“ I would highly recommend the P601 course I attended at Vent-Tech. The course was challenging in parts but the teaching was clear and concise and kept my interest all the way through. It was a real advantage to be taught by someone who is working in the industry, as our tutor was able to talk about situations he had actually seen rather than just the theory of what could happen - you could tell he really knew what he was talking about”Katherine Adams, Engineer Surveyor, Adams Plant Inspections Ltd
We offer comprehensive post-LEV training delegate support and guidance. You will be part of the Vent-Tech family anyway so can always call in with a question. If you require more comprehensive support after you have successfully passed your P601 exams, we offer a paid one-to-one mentoring service. Through this we can provide guidance and tutoring regarding the report submission bespoke to your systems. Please contact us for costs.
Commitment to success:
At Vent-Tech we are committed to ensuring you complete the course. We have an excellent pass rate. Therefore, in the unfortunate circumstance you do not pass, we will offer re-attendance of the course free of charge*
Resits can be arranged if necessary.